Cold as… [insert expletive here]
Did I mention I’m not a big winter fan?
Okay, it now qualifies as f@#$in’ cold out. You know it’s bad when you can’t even do the 4-block walk from the train to work without stopping into a cafe for a tea and a thawing. I’m so glad my wife suggested the sweater instead of the t-shirt and collared shirt thing. It’s even cold IN the office, especially my little corner of it. But I’ve come up with some ways to keep yourself warm, at the office, at home and in between:
- Cover the bedspread in catnip to get all of the cats to lay on you, sharing their warmth.
- Use junk mail to create a bonfire – if you’re like us, the weekly volume shoudl be good for a couple hours worth.
- Get some hand warmers and tape them to your body like a nicotene patch.
At the Office
- Hang out in the server room – at a constant 40-some degrees, it’s probably warmer than your office.
- Only go to the bathroom (the ‘deuce’), after someone else has warmed up the seat (following the normal ‘toilet waiting period’, of course)
- Coffee/Hot Tea IV – warmth (and caffeine) directly to the bloodstream.
- Huddle in a thick blanket as you walk. Bonus: If you mumble to yourself, other people might get out of your way, making the trip quicker.
- Stop for coffee/tea/muffins every few blocks. Sure, you’ll be late, but at least you won’t be cold.
Super Bowl Ads
Well, as Super Bowl XLI passes, we have once again been underwhelmed both by the game AND the ads that were supposed to be worth $2.6M/30-second slot. To be honest, I didn’t see ANY worth that much coin, although some were amusing. My personal Top and Bottom 5:
- Blockbuster: Mouse – I thought this was the most amusing ad, myself.
- Bud Light: Hitchiker – The best of the A-B ads, in my opinion.
- Bud Light: Rock, Paper, Scissors and Bud Light: Wedding Reception – Not as good as in the past, but still better than most of this year’s crop.
- Fed Ex: Moon Office – I actually like this one, believe it or not.
- Nationwide: K-Fed – This was a great lampooning of this guy. I guess he’ll take the remainder of his 15 minutes however he can get it.
- *honorable mention: BeatYourRisk.com – I didn’t think this one was as bad as some of the Ad-Raters did. But I’m biased: my company helped create this ad. It might have been just a bit long for my taste, though.
- SalesGenie.com – I swear to God that I thought this was a Grecian Formule or Just For Men commercial until the end. Just HORRIBLE.
- Snickers: Man Kiss – Disturbing in every way. I’m all for turning the tables (the Chevy man-washing car was funny), but this was just dumb.
- GoDaddy.com – Okay, we get it. Girls in scanty clothes. That commercial however many years ago. Now shut up about it already.
- Sierra Mist: Combover and Sierra Mist: Karate – I just couldn’t pick which was worse. They both sucked big time.
- Van Heusen: A Man’s Walk – You’re going to spend all of that money, and this is the best you can do?
For Amusement Purposes Only
- What Hands Can Do – A pretty cool VW commercial (via Airbag)
- Spouse Notes – Yeah, I could see something like this… (via Authentic Boredom)
- Cool Ajax loader builder – Of course it’s Web 2.0 Beta, right? (via Authentic Boredom)
- Wood – very cool. I want the branch micro drive.
- Comet Between Fireworks and Lightning – Wow.